By Rebecca Bushnell
- Tells the tale of the old improvement of tragedy from classical Greece to modernity
- Features 28 essays through well known students from a number of disciplines, together with classics, English, drama, anthropology and philosophy
- Broad in its scope and ambition, it considers interpretations of tragedy via faith, philosophy and history
- Offers a clean review of historic Greek tragedy and demonstrates how the perform of studying tragedy has replaced greatly some time past decades
Read or Download A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
What did it suggest within the first half this century to assert `I am English? ' a realistic Sourcebook on nationwide id is a distinct number of extracts from writing of the period, all of which not directly elevate this question. Drawn from quite a lot of resources together with letters, diaries, journalism, fiction, poems, parliamentary speeches and govt reviews, the quantity is split into 5 sections: * the guidelines and beliefs of Englishness * models of Rural England * conflict and nationwide id * tradition and Englishness * household and concrete Englands The editors offer an creation to every part and finish with advised examine actions and extra studying.
Degree Thesis from the 12 months 2010 within the topic English Language and Literature reviews - Literature, grade: 1,3, Martin Luther collage (Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik), language: English, summary: With the expansion in acceptance because of sequence like Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles and the motif’s routine presence in cinematic variations of Stoker’s Dracula in addition to a variety of television codecs public curiosity hasn't ever ceased to the current day.
Representing quite a lot of serious and theoretical views, this quantity examines J. M. Coetzee's novels from Dusklands to Diary of a foul yr. the alternative of essays displays 3 extensive pursuits: aligning the South African size of Coetzee's writing together with his "late modernist" aesthetic; exploring the connection among Coetzee's novels and his essays on linguistics; and paying specific recognition to his more moderen fictional experiments.
Many writers, from Aristophanes to Joseph Heller, have written approximately politics. yet at sure sessions in heritage, usually from time to time of clash and turmoil, writers have consciously used their literary skills to help or oppose a selected reason. The Nineteen Thirties, a decade of common social and political breakdown, used to be this type of interval.
- Consumerism and American Girls' Literature, 1860–1940 (Cambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture)
- Michel Leiris: Writing the Self (Cambridge Studies in French)
- Complete Poems
- Dostoevsky 1821-1881: Volume 2 (Routledge Library Editions: Tolstoy and Dostoevsky)
Extra info for A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Rebecca Bushnell