By Burton L. Visotzky
Hard to think yet true:
- The Passover Seder is a Greco-Roman symposium banquet
- The Talmud rabbis awarded themselves as Stoic philosophers
- Synagogue constructions have been Roman basilicas
- Hellenistic rhetoric professors knowledgeable sons of well-to-do Jews
- Zeus-Helios is depicted in synagogue mosaics throughout historic Israel
- The Jewish courts have been named after the Roman political establishment, the Sanhedrin
- In Israel there have been synagogues the place the prayers have been recited in Greek.
Historians have lengthy debated the (re)birth of Judaism within the wake of the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple cult through the Romans in 70 CE. What changed that sacrificial cult used to be straight away anything new–indebted to the very tradition of the Roman overlords–even because it additionally sought to maintain what little it might of the outdated Israelite faith. The Greco-Roman tradition within which rabbinic Judaism grew within the first 5 centuries of the typical period nurtured the advance of Judaism as we nonetheless comprehend and have a good time it this day.
Arguing that its transformation from a Jerusalem-centered cult to a global faith used to be made attainable by means of the Roman Empire, Rabbi Burton Visotzky provides Judaism as a notably Roman faith. choked with interesting aspect from the everyday life and tradition of Jewish groups around the Hellenistic global, Aphrodite and the Rabbis will entice an individual drawn to the advance of Judaism, faith, background, artwork and architecture.
Read Online or Download Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism as We Know It PDF
Similar judaism books
Judaism found represents painstaking examine in keeping with rigorous exam of all on hand exegetical assets. Deconstructing the rabbinic texts line through line, Michael Hoffman has came upon a terra incognita: Orthodox Judaism because the ideological survival of the main ossified traditions of Babylonian paganism, hid underneath a fancy procedure of dissimulation and misdirection.
So concludes what Levi thought of to be his testomony, his most vital and ultimate treatise, and a summation of his esoteric philosophy. This quantity is the realization of the paintings he began as ebook One, The Heiratic secret or the conventional records of excessive Initiation, released because the publication of Splendours (Weiser, 1984).
Eve used to be no longer Adam's first spouse. That honor belongs to Lilith, who was once created as Adam's equivalent. while he attempted to dominate her, she uttered God's mystery identify and flew away. Lilith is pointed out within the Talmud, elaborated on within the midrash and within the kabbalah, whispered approximately in tales, and handed down from mom to daughter.
The Exodus has develop into a center culture of Western civilization. Millions learn it, retell it, and have a good time it. yet did it happen? Biblical students, Egyptologists, archaeologists, historians, literary students, anthropologists, and filmmakers are attracted to it. not able to discover actual proof before, many archaeologists and students declare this mass migration is simply a narrative, now not heritage.
- Antisemitism and Islamophobia in Europe: A Shared Story?
- My People's Prayer Book Vol 5: Birkhot Hashachar (Morning Blessings)
- Jewish Men Pray: Words of Yearning, Praise, Petition, Gratitude and Wonder from Traditional and Contemporary Sources
- Divine Presence and Absence in Exilic and Post-Exilic Judaism: Studies of the Sofja Kovalevskaja Research Group on Early Jewish Monotheism Vol. II (Forschungen zum Alten Testament. 2. Reihe)
- Die Frankfurter Judengasse: Katalog zur Dauerausstellung des Jüdischen Museums Frankfurt (German Edition)
Additional info for Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism as We Know It
Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism as We Know It by Burton L. Visotzky